Somerville is my hometown. I have lived in Somerville for too many years to count and although I have seen the neighborhoods go through many changes, one thing never changes; it’s a great place to live and play.
Somerville is a desirable place to live, work and raise a family. Somerville is not only a quick trip to Boston but also home to many of its own unique activities.
Here are just a few things you may not know about that Somerville has to offer.
Somerville Museum- The Somerville Museum located at 1 Westwood Road features exhibits from local artists. The museum focuses on visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community of Somerville. You can often catch musical and dramatic performances at the museum. The museum also works closely with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.
Somerville Theatre- Looking for more fun right here at home? Look no further than the Somerville Theatre located in the heart of Davis Square. There you will find live events in addition to movies. The Somerville Theatre has played host to many famous performers. In 2009, U2 performed a concert and Bruce Springsteen did two solo acoustic shows in 2003. Many other notable names have appeared on stage at the Somerville to name a few: Maya Angelou, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Cheap Trick, Donovan, Kevin Spacey, Phish, Norah Jones, and Adele.
Thirsty Scholar Pub-Somerville is home to a diverse community so finding ethnic restaurants and pubs is easy. One such local watering hole with a famous twist is the Thirsty Scholar Pub. On the menu a diverse list of draught beers and inexpensive basic pub fare like burgers, fresh salads and full Irish breakfasts. You may also notice the Thirsty Scholar Pub was one of the area best known secrets until it was featured in the opening scene of the movie The Social Network.
Union Square Farmers Market- If you love local produce then head over to the Union Square Farmers Market open every Saturday from June through November. Local farmers crowd the intimate market square with their freshest produce, meats and more. Stop by and you are sure to catch some local entertainment too.
Mystic River Reservation-Somerville also offers a chance to get outside and enjoy nature. The Mystic River Reservation is open year-round winding through Medford, Somerville and Everett. The reservation offers swimming, rowing, sailing and areas for
picnicking, hiking and biking.
What are your favorite places in Somerville?
Cambridge MA Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $9,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:13 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/16 hours agoCambridge, MA - $3,000 - Commercial - Year Built:9999 - Acres:0.239 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:19 hours agoCambridge, MA - $420,000 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:29 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:19 hours ago
Somerville MA Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $1,900 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours agoSomerville, MA - $825,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1910 - Acres:0.072 hours agoSomerville, MA - $389,000 - Condo - Detached, 2/3 Family - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours agoSomerville, MA - $689,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/14 hours agoSomerville, MA - $1,600 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/16 hours ago
Boston MA Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $4,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:224 minutes agoBoston, MA - $569,000 - Condo - Townhouse, Brownstone - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:1/138 minutes agoBoston, MA - $3,100 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:240 minutes agoBoston, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:246 minutes agoBoston, MA - $3,400 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:247 minutes ago
- Pedestrian dies after being hit by car at Mass Ave Bridge August 19, 2014The Massachusetts State police investigate the scene where a pedestrian was struck this morning on Memorial Drive, just east of the Mass Ave bridge. […]
- Uncharted Play and Toyota team up to promote social invention across the globe August 19, 2014The SOCCKET is the brainchild of Harvard University students . Jessica Lin, Jessica Matthews, Julia Silverman and Hemali Thakkar invented a ball - but it isn't just any ball. […]
- Nakasa's remains arrive in Durban August 19, 2014Anti-apartheid journalist Nathaniel Nakasa's mortal remains arrived at Durban's King Shaka International Airport on Tuesday accompanied by Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa. […]
- Back Bay Plumbing Company's New Leader Continues Exceptional WOW service August 19, 2014Under the leadership of licensed Master Plumber Tim Flynn, Winters Home Services, which recently merged with Hub Plumbing, carries on the tradition of signature customer service. […]
- PBS to Air Alzheimer's Documentary the Genius of Marian, 9/8 August 19, 2014Sept. 8 on PBS : A filmmaker captures his mother's early-onset Alzheimer's in 'The Genius of The Genius of Marian is a visually rich, emotionally complex story about one family's struggle to come to terms with Alzheimer's disease. […]
- Pedestrian dies after being hit by car at Mass Ave Bridge August 19, 2014
- Eat Barbecue And Help Plan Union Square's Future August 18, 2014The Chicago-based real estate company recently selected as master developer of Somerville's Union Square will host a community kickoff event on Tuesday night to discuss its vision for the future of the neighborhood. […]
- Boston-area man granted new trial in 1986 killing August 17, 2014A Boston-area man who spent 26 years in prisons for a 1986 killing has been granted a new trial. […]
- Bright and Bold: 40 of the Most Colorful Wedding Bouquets August 17, 2014Classic all white and dreamy pastel bouquets will always be a chic and stylish wedding staple. […]
- Somerville Police, Sheriff's Department Swap Groceries For Unwanted Guns August 16, 2014Somerville police and the Middlesex Sheriff's Department swapped groceries for guns Saturday in a no-questions-asked buyback event. […]
- SJC orders new trial for Somerville man in 1986 murder case August 15, 2014The state's highest court today ruled that a Somerville man is entitled to a new trial after forensic testing showed there was no invisible blood on a purple jacket, which was the only piece of physical evidence linking him to a 1986 murder in Cambridge. […]
- Eat Barbecue And Help Plan Union Square's Future August 18, 2014
- Run Bloody, Muddy, and Wild: Quirky Runs Coming Soon Near Boston August 19, 2014Whether you're looking for mud, tutus, beer, zombies, or wild animals, these quirky and fun races coming up are sure to motivate you to get off the couch and into your running shoes. […]
- Pedestrian killed in Cambridge car crash August 19, 2014One pedestrian is dead after being struck by a car in Cambridge Tuesday morning. […]
- Curbed Comparisons: What $2,500 a Month Rents You Right Now Around Boston August 19, 2014Given that prime leasing season is upon Boston like a storm cloud, we thought we would run down five properties in four different areas for rent right this very second at two and a half grand. […]
- A shift in the waterfront tower wars August 19, 2014There is, after all, something absurd about a group of wealthy people who live in 40-story towers along the waterfront complaining loudly that somebody else wants to erect tall buildings next door. […]
- Former Boston Wharf Co. Building Sells For $52.7M August 19, 2014A former Boston Wharf Co. industrial building in the Fort Point Channel neighborhood of South Boston has sold for $52.75 million. […]
- Run Bloody, Muddy, and Wild: Quirky Runs Coming Soon Near Boston August 19, 2014