Somerville is my hometown. I have lived in Somerville for too many years to count and although I have seen the neighborhoods go through many changes, one thing never changes; it’s a great place to live and play.
Somerville is a desirable place to live, work and raise a family. Somerville is not only a quick trip to Boston but also home to many of its own unique activities.
Here are just a few things you may not know about that Somerville has to offer.
Somerville Museum- The Somerville Museum located at 1 Westwood Road features exhibits from local artists. The museum focuses on visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community of Somerville. You can often catch musical and dramatic performances at the museum. The museum also works closely with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.
Somerville Theatre- Looking for more fun right here at home? Look no further than the Somerville Theatre located in the heart of Davis Square. There you will find live events in addition to movies. The Somerville Theatre has played host to many famous performers. In 2009, U2 performed a concert and Bruce Springsteen did two solo acoustic shows in 2003. Many other notable names have appeared on stage at the Somerville to name a few: Maya Angelou, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Cheap Trick, Donovan, Kevin Spacey, Phish, Norah Jones, and Adele.
Thirsty Scholar Pub-Somerville is home to a diverse community so finding ethnic restaurants and pubs is easy. One such local watering hole with a famous twist is the Thirsty Scholar Pub. On the menu a diverse list of draught beers and inexpensive basic pub fare like burgers, fresh salads and full Irish breakfasts. You may also notice the Thirsty Scholar Pub was one of the area best known secrets until it was featured in the opening scene of the movie The Social Network.
Union Square Farmers Market- If you love local produce then head over to the Union Square Farmers Market open every Saturday from June through November. Local farmers crowd the intimate market square with their freshest produce, meats and more. Stop by and you are sure to catch some local entertainment too.
Mystic River Reservation-Somerville also offers a chance to get outside and enjoy nature. The Mystic River Reservation is open year-round winding through Medford, Somerville and Everett. The reservation offers swimming, rowing, sailing and areas for
picnicking, hiking and biking.
What are your favorite places in Somerville?
Cambridge MA Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $799,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:08 hours agoCambridge, MA - $447,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:210 hours agoCambridge, MA - $3,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:215 hours agoCambridge, MA - $3,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:117 hours agoCambridge, MA - $4,750 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/117 hours ago
Somerville MA Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:212 hours agoSomerville, MA - $674,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/113 hours agoSomerville, MA - $459,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Somerville, MA - $669,000 - Condo - Townhouse, 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1Somerville, MA - $459,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1
Boston MA Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $2,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:2 - Beds:1 - Baths:16 hours agoBoston, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:17 hours agoBoston, MA - $3,100 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/18 hours agoBoston, MA - $2,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:19 hours agoBoston, MA - $569,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:212 hours ago
- Yankee Ingenuity: Bookselling in New England - Spotlight On New England 2014 April 19, 2014New England booksellers long have been in the bookselling forefront: from founding the first regional bookselling group more than four decades ago and the paperback revolution to computerized inventory systems and the launch of regional and national chains . […]
- Cambridge man arrested after car crashed through store window April 19, 2014A Cambridge man is behind bars after a car crashed into the front window of a Cambridge furniture store early this morning, authorities said. […]
- Armenian Genocide Commemorative Billboard Removed from the Mbta Property in Boston April 19, 2014It seems that this year, an anonymous entity has deemed the message on the billboard to be of a political nature. […]
- Counterterrorism Chief: Parents Should Watch For 'Sudden Personality Changes' In Children April 19, 2014Delivering a speech at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government on Tuesday, White House Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Adviser Lisa Monaco said that local communities have to be aware of terrorist threats where the government cannot, noting that parents should watch for "sudden personality changes in their children at ... ( […]
- New Dylan goodies - 'Time' LP, 'Annotated Lyrics,' 'True Detective,' 'Club 47' April 19, 2014Arguably the rarest of Dylan's latter day regular vinyl LP's, the multiple Grammy Award-winning release "Time Out Of Mind," is about to be reissued by Music On Vinyl. […]
- Yankee Ingenuity: Bookselling in New England - Spotlight On New England 2014 April 19, 2014
- MathWorks Assigned Patent April 19, 2014By Targeted News Service ALEXANDRIA, Va., April 18 -- MathWorks, Natick, Mass., has been assigned a patent developed by Jared MacDonald, Somerville, Mass., for a computer-implemented method "for automatically modifying software code in an integrated development environment." […]
- From Good Friday to a Celebratory Weekend April 18, 2014As we head into a sacred weekend for many Americans, We would like to share these inspiring words with you. […]
- Teacher child-porn rap shocks cities April 18, 2014The Cambridge schoolteacher and child-porn suspect who feds say admitted to secretly videotaping children changing clothes in a locker room had a clean background check when he was hired last year, his boss said. […]
- Brother of Somerville mayor accused in sex assault April 18, 2014The lawyer defending Cosmo Curtatone - the brother of Somerville Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone and Middlesex Register of Deeds Maria C. Curtatone - against sexual and domestic abuse charges is calling the alleged victim's claims he threatened to use his family's political ties to silence her "absolute nonsense." […]
- 5th grade Cambridge teacher facing child pornography charges April 17, 2014A 5th grade teacher employed with the city of Cambridge appeared in court on Thursday on child pornography charges. […]
- MathWorks Assigned Patent April 19, 2014
- BCYF All Girls Sports Festival Registering Now April 20, 2014April school vacation week is coming and Boston girls ages 11-15 are invited to register now for the annual All Girls Sports Festival. […]
- Mayor Walsh Reopens Childe Hassam Park April 26 April 19, 2014Mayor Martin J. Walsh and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department will celebrate the reopening of Childe Hassam Park in the South End with a ribbon cutting and block party on Saturday, April 26, at 1:30 p.m. The reopening of the park, located at 314 Columbus Avenue, marks the completion of a project with a construction budget funded by $278,531 ... (more) […]
- Boston Creating A Literary Cultural District: Spotlight On New England 2014 April 19, 2014As early as this August, Boston could become the first American city with a Literary Cultural District. […]
- BRA approves plans for public food market April 19, 2014With a major city approval in hand, developers of a long-planned public food market in Boston said they will start renovations this summer to transform an empty, state-owned building into a showcase for Massachusetts farmers, fisherman, and specialty food makers. […]
- Gambling panel stands up to Boston mayor April 19, 2014The state gambling commission on Friday rebuffed Mayor Martin J. Walsh's call for its chairman to recuse himself from any involvement in licensing a casino in the Greater Boston region. […]
- BCYF All Girls Sports Festival Registering Now April 20, 2014