Somerville is my hometown. I have lived in Somerville for too many years to count and although I have seen the neighborhoods go through many changes, one thing never changes; it’s a great place to live and play.
Somerville is a desirable place to live, work and raise a family. Somerville is not only a quick trip to Boston but also home to many of its own unique activities.
Here are just a few things you may not know about that Somerville has to offer.
Somerville Museum- The Somerville Museum located at 1 Westwood Road features exhibits from local artists. The museum focuses on visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community of Somerville. You can often catch musical and dramatic performances at the museum. The museum also works closely with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.
Somerville Theatre- Looking for more fun right here at home? Look no further than the Somerville Theatre located in the heart of Davis Square. There you will find live events in addition to movies. The Somerville Theatre has played host to many famous performers. In 2009, U2 performed a concert and Bruce Springsteen did two solo acoustic shows in 2003. Many other notable names have appeared on stage at the Somerville to name a few: Maya Angelou, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Cheap Trick, Donovan, Kevin Spacey, Phish, Norah Jones, and Adele.
Thirsty Scholar Pub-Somerville is home to a diverse community so finding ethnic restaurants and pubs is easy. One such local watering hole with a famous twist is the Thirsty Scholar Pub. On the menu a diverse list of draught beers and inexpensive basic pub fare like burgers, fresh salads and full Irish breakfasts. You may also notice the Thirsty Scholar Pub was one of the area best known secrets until it was featured in the opening scene of the movie The Social Network.
Union Square Farmers Market- If you love local produce then head over to the Union Square Farmers Market open every Saturday from June through November. Local farmers crowd the intimate market square with their freshest produce, meats and more. Stop by and you are sure to catch some local entertainment too.
Mystic River Reservation-Somerville also offers a chance to get outside and enjoy nature. The Mystic River Reservation is open year-round winding through Medford, Somerville and Everett. The reservation offers swimming, rowing, sailing and areas for
picnicking, hiking and biking.
What are your favorite places in Somerville?
Cambridge MA Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $899,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:08 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,500 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:19 hours agoCambridge, MA - $1,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:211 hours agoCambridge, MA - $729,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:215 hours ago
Somerville MA Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $2,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:24 hours agoSomerville, MA - $2,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:14 hours agoSomerville, MA - $449,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:24 hours agoSomerville, MA - $397,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:15 hours ago
Boston MA Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $500,000 - Multi-Family - Units:3 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:050 minutes agoBoston, MA - $3,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:1/152 minutes agoBoston, MA - $729,000 - Condo - Hi-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:22 hours agoBoston, MA - $2,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:2 - Beds:0 - Baths:12 hours ago
- Man sentenced to 40 years in sex attack on child December 12, 2013JACKSON -- A man was sentenced Thursday to 40 years in federal prison for sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl in Mississippi while videotaping the attack. […]
- Cambridge-based Foundation Medicine rolls out a new cancer test December 12, 2013Less than two months after its IPO and nearly two years into commercialization, Foundation Medicine Inc. has rolled out a second diagnostic cancer test. […]
- Hasty Pudding Club Moves to New Home in Harvard Square December 12, 2013The Hasty Pudding Institute of 1770 has announced the relocation of The Hasty Pudding Clubhouse to the historic Hyde-Taylor House in Harvard Square located at 96 Winthrop Street, Cambridge, MA. […]
- Cambridge Man Charged for Shoplifting, Fugitive From Justice December 12, 2013State police handled the scene. 9:09 p.m. Nelson Gelardi, 56, of Cambridge, was arrested, following a report of a shoplifter at Walmart. […]
- When Ratan Tata felt confused and humiliated December 12, 2013Tata recalled his first weeks on the Harvard campus as he attended a dedication ceremony of Tata Hall at Harvard Business School in Boston earlier this week. […]
- Man sentenced to 40 years in sex attack on child December 12, 2013
- Creating cannoli December 11, 2013From humble beginnings 40+ years ago in a small bakery near Boston to a 30,000-sq.-ft. […]
- Middle School Writers' Conference, De-Leading Homes December 11, 20132) Making Homes Safe from Lead Somerville received a $2.1 million continuation grant from the Office of Housing and Urban Development to "de-lead," for free, 120 homes, according to an announcement from the city. […]
- City awarded three medals for achievement in addressing childhood obesity December 11, 2013The National League of Cities has recognized Somerville Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone and the City's Shape Up Somerville strategy for recent completion of key health and wellness goals for Let's Move! Cities, Towns and Counties . […]
- Menino Delivers Last Major Speech As Boston Mayor December 11, 2013Boston's longest-serving mayor Thomas Menino delivered his final major speech while in office to the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Tuesday morning. […]
- The mystique of cremeux: chocolate and finesse December 11, 2013Harvest pastry chef Brian Mercury doesn't care how anyone pronounces the French word cremeux, he just wants people to enjoy the smooth, densely creamy, intensely chocolate-y dessert. […]
- Creating cannoli December 11, 2013
- All Things Travel: Farewell Salutes To Boston Mayor Tom Menino December 12, 2013Two events, in two days on two sides of the Boston Harbor honored Boston Mayor Tom Menino who is leaving office after two decades. […]
- Boston cop arrested for pointing gun at 2 people December 12, 2013Boston Police Officer Sandro Fonseca hid behind a door during his arraignment in Roxbury District Court on charges of pointing a handgun at two people while he was off duty. […]
- Baked Stuffed Lobster December 12, 2013Today's entree includes fresh seafood that you can devour by candlelight for 2 or it could be a dish for your family. […]
- Ask A Boston Chef: Smoked-Maple Christmas Ham December 12, 2013Ham. It's the traditional centerpiece of many-a-Christmas dinners. And without a good ham, the entire meal could suffer. […]
- COLUMN: It's Time to Find Your Boston December 12, 2013There's no denying it. You hear it everywhere you go. The same phrase is constantly repeated after you graduate from high school, as you proceed from graduation party to graduation party, with each parent voicing his or her opinion to you on your school choice. […]
- All Things Travel: Farewell Salutes To Boston Mayor Tom Menino December 12, 2013