Somerville is my hometown. I have lived in Somerville for too many years to count and although I have seen the neighborhoods go through many changes, one thing never changes; it’s a great place to live and play.
Somerville is a desirable place to live, work and raise a family. Somerville is not only a quick trip to Boston but also home to many of its own unique activities.
Here are just a few things you may not know about that Somerville has to offer.
Somerville Museum- The Somerville Museum located at 1 Westwood Road features exhibits from local artists. The museum focuses on visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community of Somerville. You can often catch musical and dramatic performances at the museum. The museum also works closely with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.
Somerville Theatre- Looking for more fun right here at home? Look no further than the Somerville Theatre located in the heart of Davis Square. There you will find live events in addition to movies. The Somerville Theatre has played host to many famous performers. In 2009, U2 performed a concert and Bruce Springsteen did two solo acoustic shows in 2003. Many other notable names have appeared on stage at the Somerville to name a few: Maya Angelou, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Cheap Trick, Donovan, Kevin Spacey, Phish, Norah Jones, and Adele.
Thirsty Scholar Pub-Somerville is home to a diverse community so finding ethnic restaurants and pubs is easy. One such local watering hole with a famous twist is the Thirsty Scholar Pub. On the menu a diverse list of draught beers and inexpensive basic pub fare like burgers, fresh salads and full Irish breakfasts. You may also notice the Thirsty Scholar Pub was one of the area best known secrets until it was featured in the opening scene of the movie The Social Network.
Union Square Farmers Market- If you love local produce then head over to the Union Square Farmers Market open every Saturday from June through November. Local farmers crowd the intimate market square with their freshest produce, meats and more. Stop by and you are sure to catch some local entertainment too.
Mystic River Reservation-Somerville also offers a chance to get outside and enjoy nature. The Mystic River Reservation is open year-round winding through Medford, Somerville and Everett. The reservation offers swimming, rowing, sailing and areas for
picnicking, hiking and biking.
What are your favorite places in Somerville?
Cambridge MA Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $1,400,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:31 hour agoCambridge, MA - $775,000 - Single-Family - Cottage - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:21 hour agoCambridge, MA - $775,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:31 hour agoCambridge, MA - $989,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/11 hour agoCambridge, MA - $2,950 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour ago
Somerville MA Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $549,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:21 hour agoSomerville, MA - $729,900 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:21 hour agoSomerville, MA - $649,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours agoSomerville, MA - $1,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:1 - Beds:1 - Baths:12 hours agoSomerville, MA - $1,900 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:14 hours ago
Boston MA Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $4,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:248 minutes agoBoston, MA - $1,800 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:152 minutes agoBoston, MA - $2,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoBoston, MA - $1,900 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:11 hour agoBoston, MA - $549,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/11 hour ago
- The Road to the 38: Boston Restaurants to Know: Craigie on Main, Coppa, Alden & Harlow July 23, 2014Throughout the year, Restaurant Editor Bill Addison will travel the country to chronicle what's happening in America's dining scene and to formulate his list of the essential 38 restaurants in America. […]
- Skakel seeks suppression of tapesvisit|article-5640009|mobile_simple_list_body-11991|1 July 23, 2014In 1997, Michael Skakel contracted writer Richard Hoffman to help ghostwrite his memoir, tentatively titled "Dead Man Talking: A Kennedy Cousin Comes Clean." […]
- Broad Institute receives $650 million for psychiatric research July 23, 2014The Broad Institute, a collaborative biomedical research center in Cambridge, Massachusetts, has received a $650 million donation from philanthropist and businessman Ted Stanley to study the biological basis of diseases such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. […]
- Cambridge man charged with providing gun used to kill MIT Officer Sean Collier July 22, 2014Law enforcement officials say a federal case made public today in Boston answers a mystery that's been unsolved since last year's Boston Marathon bombings -- where did the Tsarnaev brothers get the gun that prosecutors say they used to kill MIT officer? Federal prosecutors have filed charges against a Cambridge, Massachusetts man who law ... (more) […]
- Spencer man charged for allegedly dunking baby July 22, 2014A Spencer man is facing assault and child endangerment charges after police say he dunked his 2-month-old son in a reservoir while he and his friends laughed and cheered. […]
- The Road to the 38: Boston Restaurants to Know: Craigie on Main, Coppa, Alden & Harlow July 23, 2014
- Arrest reportedly linked to gun used to kill MIT police officer during Boston bombing manhut July 23, 2014This undated file photo provided by the Middlesex District Attorney's Office shows Massachusetts Institute of Technology Police Officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, Mass., who was shot to death Thursday, April 18, 2013 on the school campus in Cambridge, Mass. […]
- Antioxidant Supplements Don't Fight Cancer, Research Suggests July 22, 2014In a new paper, published July 10 in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers analyzed previous studies on antioxidants and cancer , trying to determine why taking antioxidants hasn't seemed to reduce people's cancer risk. […]
- Ousted Market Basket CEO: Give Workers Their Jobs Back July 22, 2014By Liz Taurasi More rallies are expected Tuesday at all Market Basket locations as employees enter a fifth day of showing their support for ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas. […]
- A supermarket saga -- bring back the good boss July 22, 2014I searched for content on the Market Basket saga now erupting here in New England on the site, and didn't find anything. […]
- Kriseman picks Clearwater police chief to lead St. Pete Police Department July 21, 2014St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman has named Anthony "Tony" Holloway as chief of the St. Petersburg Police Department. […]
- Arrest reportedly linked to gun used to kill MIT police officer during Boston bombing manhut July 23, 2014
- Taxi Passengers Accused Of Beating, Robbing Cabbie Who Wouldn't Speed July 23, 2014A pair of impatient passengers are facing charges for allegedly beating and robbing a cabbie who refused to speed to get them to their destination. […]
- Hollywood comes to Federal Street July 23, 2014Filming for Black Mass, the Hollywood movie about James "Whitey" Bulger, came to downtown Boston today. […]
- Mass. Towns Struggle With Debate Over Immigrant Services July 23, 2014The national debate over an unprecedented wave of Central American young people entering the country illegally is more of a practical challenge in places like Lynn, a former industrial city outside Boston that's thousands of miles from the U.S.-Mexico border. […]
- A lesser-known awesome view of Boston - and an equally awesome workout July 22, 2014Boston 's Bunker Hill Monument, also whimsically nick-named "Cleopatra's Needle" by Boston locals, is a lesser-known way to see a view of Boston. […]
- 2 of The Best Coffee Shops in America Are in Boston July 22, 2014With Boston Dunkin' Donuts abounding, , it's easy to forget that there are other places in Boston to grab a steaming cup of coffee. […]
- Taxi Passengers Accused Of Beating, Robbing Cabbie Who Wouldn't Speed July 23, 2014