Somerville is my hometown. I have lived in Somerville for too many years to count and although I have seen the neighborhoods go through many changes, one thing never changes; it’s a great place to live and play.
Somerville is a desirable place to live, work and raise a family. Somerville is not only a quick trip to Boston but also home to many of its own unique activities.
Here are just a few things you may not know about that Somerville has to offer.
Somerville Museum- The Somerville Museum located at 1 Westwood Road features exhibits from local artists. The museum focuses on visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community of Somerville. You can often catch musical and dramatic performances at the museum. The museum also works closely with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.
Somerville Theatre- Looking for more fun right here at home? Look no further than the Somerville Theatre located in the heart of Davis Square. There you will find live events in addition to movies. The Somerville Theatre has played host to many famous performers. In 2009, U2 performed a concert and Bruce Springsteen did two solo acoustic shows in 2003. Many other notable names have appeared on stage at the Somerville to name a few: Maya Angelou, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Cheap Trick, Donovan, Kevin Spacey, Phish, Norah Jones, and Adele.
Thirsty Scholar Pub-Somerville is home to a diverse community so finding ethnic restaurants and pubs is easy. One such local watering hole with a famous twist is the Thirsty Scholar Pub. On the menu a diverse list of draught beers and inexpensive basic pub fare like burgers, fresh salads and full Irish breakfasts. You may also notice the Thirsty Scholar Pub was one of the area best known secrets until it was featured in the opening scene of the movie The Social Network.
Union Square Farmers Market- If you love local produce then head over to the Union Square Farmers Market open every Saturday from June through November. Local farmers crowd the intimate market square with their freshest produce, meats and more. Stop by and you are sure to catch some local entertainment too.
Mystic River Reservation-Somerville also offers a chance to get outside and enjoy nature. The Mystic River Reservation is open year-round winding through Medford, Somerville and Everett. The reservation offers swimming, rowing, sailing and areas for
picnicking, hiking and biking.
What are your favorite places in Somerville?
Cambridge MA Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $3,500 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/110 hours agoCambridge, MA - $719,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/110 hours agoCambridge, MA - $495,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:212 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,750 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:113 hours agoCambridge, MA - $3,000 - Commercial - Year Built:9999 - Acres:0.23
Somerville MA Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $32 - Commercial - Year Built:1920 - Acres:0.121 hour agoSomerville, MA - $2,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1900 - Acres:0.1812 hours agoSomerville, MA - $419,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:114 hours agoSomerville, MA - $899,000 - Single-Family - Gambrel - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/117 hours agoSomerville, MA - $1,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/117 hours ago
Boston MA Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $625,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1899 - Acres:0.0326 minutes agoBoston, MA - $800,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:745 minutes agoBoston, MA - $495,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/11 hour agoBoston, MA - $260,000 - Condo - Low-Rise - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:16 hours agoBoston, MA - $210,000 - Condo - Other - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:16 hours ago
- New FSILG policy allows use of some roof decks this term September 2, 2014The Interfraternity Council, the Association of Independent Living Groups Board, and the AILG Facilities Committee have instated a new policy regarding approval for roof deck usage at fraternities, sororities, and independent living groups , overriding the existing prohibition of roof deck use. […]
- Will Harvard biz school have gender equality? September 2, 2014We have re-imagined our design in a bold new way. Before we roll it out for everyone, we are giving select readers an opportunity to try out the new design. […]
- GoLocalWorcester | Lifestyle | College Admissions: 8 Things They Won't Tell You in Freshman Orientation September 1, 2014As families pack suitcases and head off to the first week of college, there is a whirl of excitement. […]
- Breaking Beautiful - The Useful Mechanism In Patterns Of Cracks August 31, 2014High resolution photograph of cracks in thin layer of glass atop a silicon wafer. […]
- Billerica's next Town Meeting debate: eliminating Town Meeting August 31, 2014Selectman George Simolaris has filed a warrant article to explore options for transitioning away from a Town Meeting form of government, one he feels no longer represents the town's best interests. […]
- New FSILG policy allows use of some roof decks this term September 2, 2014
- Union Square is hipster central August 30, 2014Move over, Cambridge. These days, anyone seeking a countercultural adventure comes to Somerville. […]
- Aram Boghosian for The Boston Globe Innovation EconomyIn Somerville,... August 29, 2014The Somerville company had grown to about 600 employees in the mid-20th century, making sturdy envelopes, boxes, and file folders for medical records. […]
- Guide to Boston's startup scene, brainchild of NextView founder Rob Go, to launch in September August 28, 2014The Boston Tech Guide, a website aimed at curating content related to Boston's tech startup scene and the brainchild of venture capitalist Rob Go, is set to launch by the end of September. […]
- How Market Basket employees saved CEO Arthur T. Demoulas August 28, 2014Meat department manager Bob Dietz hugs cashier Mary Olson after watching a televised speech by restored Market Basket CEO Arthur T. Demoulas at a store in Chelsea, Mass. […]
- Leominster Retirement Board hit over pension-hike denial August 28, 2014A statewide association representing retired municipal employees is criticizing the city's Retirement Board for voting in July not to give retirees a cost-of-living pay increase in their pensions for the fifth straight year. […]
- Union Square is hipster central August 30, 2014
- Essdras M Suarez/Globe Staff Mass. police forces lag in racial diversity September 2, 2014Jose Ramirez, 6, of Chelsea looked up at a police officer at the back-to-school celebration at Williams School. […]
- Lawyer: Victim shot dead in Dorchester a - hard-working man' September 2, 2014The lawyer for a Cape Verdean man who was gunned down this weekend in Dorchester last night called his killing a "shame." […]
- Students across Boston forced to find house after failed inspections September 2, 2014Furniture left on the sidewalks, bedbug warnings issued and some students looking for new housing, it's all a part of move-in day in Boston. […]
- Arthur T. Demoulas visits employees, customers in Chelsea September 2, 2014Arthur T. Demoulas spent part of his Labor Day with the people who helped bring him back to the company after he was fired. […]
- Calls for end to violence resound at peace rally September 1, 2014Khalifa Stafford , Kristina Torres, and Nisha Cirino attended a rally in honor of Dawnn Jaffier, who was gunned down as she walked to the city's annual Caribbean parade. […]
- Essdras M Suarez/Globe Staff Mass. police forces lag in racial diversity September 2, 2014