Somerville is my hometown. I have lived in Somerville for too many years to count and although I have seen the neighborhoods go through many changes, one thing never changes; it’s a great place to live and play.
Somerville is a desirable place to live, work and raise a family. Somerville is not only a quick trip to Boston but also home to many of its own unique activities.
Here are just a few things you may not know about that Somerville has to offer.
Somerville Museum- The Somerville Museum located at 1 Westwood Road features exhibits from local artists. The museum focuses on visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community of Somerville. You can often catch musical and dramatic performances at the museum. The museum also works closely with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.
Somerville Theatre- Looking for more fun right here at home? Look no further than the Somerville Theatre located in the heart of Davis Square. There you will find live events in addition to movies. The Somerville Theatre has played host to many famous performers. In 2009, U2 performed a concert and Bruce Springsteen did two solo acoustic shows in 2003. Many other notable names have appeared on stage at the Somerville to name a few: Maya Angelou, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Cheap Trick, Donovan, Kevin Spacey, Phish, Norah Jones, and Adele.
Thirsty Scholar Pub-Somerville is home to a diverse community so finding ethnic restaurants and pubs is easy. One such local watering hole with a famous twist is the Thirsty Scholar Pub. On the menu a diverse list of draught beers and inexpensive basic pub fare like burgers, fresh salads and full Irish breakfasts. You may also notice the Thirsty Scholar Pub was one of the area best known secrets until it was featured in the opening scene of the movie The Social Network.
Union Square Farmers Market- If you love local produce then head over to the Union Square Farmers Market open every Saturday from June through November. Local farmers crowd the intimate market square with their freshest produce, meats and more. Stop by and you are sure to catch some local entertainment too.
Mystic River Reservation-Somerville also offers a chance to get outside and enjoy nature. The Mystic River Reservation is open year-round winding through Medford, Somerville and Everett. The reservation offers swimming, rowing, sailing and areas for
picnicking, hiking and biking.
What are your favorite places in Somerville?
Featured Property Slideshow
Cambridge MA Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $279,000 - Condo - Hi-Rise, Courtyard - Rooms:2 - Beds:0 - Baths:12 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoCambridge, MA - $775,000 - Multi-Family - Units:3 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:56 hours agoCambridge, MA - $1,650 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:17 hours ago
Somerville MA Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $409,000 - Condo - Other - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:137 minutes agoSomerville, MA - $1,400,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1940 - Acres:01 hour agoSomerville, MA - $579,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:24 hours agoSomerville, MA - $794,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:67 hours ago
Boston MA Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $2,600 - Rentals - - Rooms:2 - Beds:1 - Baths:122 minutes agoBoston, MA - $200,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:224 minutes agoBoston, MA - $259,000 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:131 minutes agoBoston, MA - $309,000 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:5 - Beds:1 - Baths:132 minutes ago
- Students, professor make presentations at AAS conference June 18, 2013Morehead State University had two undergraduate students and a professor from the Department of Earth and Space Sciences give poster presentations at the 222nd meeting of the American Astronomical Society - the leading professional society of astronomers in North America - held in Indianapolis. […]
- Family Races For ALS Cure June 18, 2013"My dad was a very active person this is a great way to honor him, especially on Father's Day," said Jessica Baldwin, Tom's daughter. […]
- American Academy head Berlowitz went looking for the best and brightest - and found herself June 18, 2013Every year, members of the prestigious American Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cambridge spend months sifting through nominations to find some of the world's most accomplished scholars, artists, and leaders to join their institution. […]
- Rutland hearing Tuesday on wetlands status for topsoil transfers June 18, 2013The Conservation Commission will hold a public hearing Tuesday to review information that will determine whether the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act applies to land abutting Jordan Dairy Farms. […]
- Abenomics for Women Undermined by Men Dominating Japan Ruling Politicians June 18, 2013Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has vowed to elevate the role of women in the world's third-largest economy. […]
- Students, professor make presentations at AAS conference June 18, 2013
- Somerville Residents Urged to Continue to Report Aircraft Noise Pollution June 18, 2013The City of Somerville is pleased to announce that Boston Logan International Airport has implemented a new departure procedure for one of its runways that should decrease aircraft noise pollution over parts of the city, but urges residents to continue reporting aircraft noise to compel the Federal Aviation Administration and Massport's adoption of ... […]
- Attleboro-Based Ice Cream Company Expands June 18, 2013An Attleboro-based all natural ice cream company has brought its sweet new flavors to Weymouth. […]
- Snapshot: Somerville School Enrollment Numbers June 18, 2013Somerville is planning to invest more in its schools in the upcoming fiscal year . […]
- Five Things: 'Whole Larder Love,' School-Related Achievements June 18, 2013It takes place at Fringe Studio, 9 Olive Square, at 7 p.m. Unfortunately for you, it looks like tickets are sold out . […]
- Admitted Murderer and 'Hitman' Testifies in Bulger Trial June 18, 2013John Martorano, an admitted murderer, calmly told jurors in the trial of James "Whitey" Bulger about several murders he was involved with, according to media reports about Monday's testimony. […]
- Somerville Residents Urged to Continue to Report Aircraft Noise Pollution June 18, 2013
- Gated cities in our future? June 18, 2013The median price for a luxury condo in neighborhoods like the Back Bay, South End and Beacon Hill hit $1.4 million during the first three months of the year. […]
- MAP: Boston property tax assessment increases by ZIP code June 18, 2013A screen grab of an interactive heat map , produced by Esri for the BBJ. The map ranks Boston-area ZIP codes by the median increase in property tax assessments from 2012 to 2013. […]
- PHOTOS: SoWa Open Market Brightens South End on Father's Day June 18, 2013Filling up three separate lots in the South End, the SoWa Open Market packed the south part of the neighorhood this past Father's Day, Sun. […]
- Carr: Martorano's 'career' nothing to be proud of June 18, 2013I think it's the fact that unlike during the earlier Zip Connolly trials, he's been back in Boston for a while now. […]
- CSX project wrap-up means money for city June 18, 2013CSX has declared "substantial completion" to the $100 million expansion of its freight yard between Shrewsbury and Franklin streets. […]
- Gated cities in our future? June 18, 2013