Somerville is my hometown. I have lived in Somerville for too many years to count and although I have seen the neighborhoods go through many changes, one thing never changes; it’s a great place to live and play.
Somerville is a desirable place to live, work and raise a family. Somerville is not only a quick trip to Boston but also home to many of its own unique activities.
Here are just a few things you may not know about that Somerville has to offer.
Somerville Museum- The Somerville Museum located at 1 Westwood Road features exhibits from local artists. The museum focuses on visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community of Somerville. You can often catch musical and dramatic performances at the museum. The museum also works closely with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.
Somerville Theatre- Looking for more fun right here at home? Look no further than the Somerville Theatre located in the heart of Davis Square. There you will find live events in addition to movies. The Somerville Theatre has played host to many famous performers. In 2009, U2 performed a concert and Bruce Springsteen did two solo acoustic shows in 2003. Many other notable names have appeared on stage at the Somerville to name a few: Maya Angelou, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Cheap Trick, Donovan, Kevin Spacey, Phish, Norah Jones, and Adele.
Thirsty Scholar Pub-Somerville is home to a diverse community so finding ethnic restaurants and pubs is easy. One such local watering hole with a famous twist is the Thirsty Scholar Pub. On the menu a diverse list of draught beers and inexpensive basic pub fare like burgers, fresh salads and full Irish breakfasts. You may also notice the Thirsty Scholar Pub was one of the area best known secrets until it was featured in the opening scene of the movie The Social Network.
Union Square Farmers Market- If you love local produce then head over to the Union Square Farmers Market open every Saturday from June through November. Local farmers crowd the intimate market square with their freshest produce, meats and more. Stop by and you are sure to catch some local entertainment too.
Mystic River Reservation-Somerville also offers a chance to get outside and enjoy nature. The Mystic River Reservation is open year-round winding through Medford, Somerville and Everett. The reservation offers swimming, rowing, sailing and areas for
picnicking, hiking and biking.
What are your favorite places in Somerville?
Cambridge MA Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $2,850 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:22 hours agoCambridge, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:13 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoCambridge, MA - $289,000 - Condo - Low-Rise - Rooms:1 - Beds:1 - Baths:17 hours agoCambridge, MA - $595,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:1 - Baths:1/17 hours ago
Somerville MA Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $2,250 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoSomerville, MA - $2,600 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/13 hours agoSomerville, MA - $2,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:14 hours agoSomerville, MA - $799,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:38 hours agoSomerville, MA - $2,400 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/18 hours ago
Boston MA Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/11 hour agoBoston, MA - $175,000 - Condo - Low-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours agoBoston, MA - $850,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:62 hours agoBoston, MA - $349,000 - Condo - Low-Rise, Courtyard - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:12 hours agoBoston, MA - $1,650 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:12 hours ago
- FDA to regulate tests exempt from oversight August 1, 2014The US Food and Drug Administration, responding to growing concerns that a host of diagnostic tests for illnesses from cancer to Lyme disease may be inaccurately identifying conditions, announced Thursday that it intends to regulate many of the tests. […]
- It's happy hour for liter-mug drinkers July 31, 2014That's the message from state regulators, after a cryptic phone call led to confusion over state happy-hour regulations and nearly nixed a liter-mug patio party in Cambridge last week. […]
- So, It Looks Like Warren Isn't Running For President July 31, 2014At Netroots, RedState's Dan Spencer and I looked on as Democratic Senator from Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren rallied the troops with her pugnacious brand of liberal populism. […]
- The top 10 computer science schools in the U.S. July 31, 2014The Maclaurin Building is shown on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Looking for a major that can basically ensure a solid paycheck upon graduation? Yeah, computer science might be for you. […]
- Heart disease risk factors increase with urbanicity in Uganda July 31, 2014Urban dwellers tend to have higher risk for cardiovascular diseases than people living in more rural locations. […]
- FDA to regulate tests exempt from oversight August 1, 2014
- Boston-area nightlife July 31, 2014BOAT CRUISE SUMMER SERIES Dance the night away on board the Provincetown II. The All White Party features tunes provided by Canadian EDM duo Adventure Club. […]
- Grocery Chain Workers Want Their CEO Back July 30, 2014If your boss was fired, would you walk off the job in protest? That's what's happening at the New England grocery store chain Market Basket, which has 25,000 employees. […]
- Sympathy for the Overdog July 29, 2014Customers look at limited options inside the produce section at the Market Basket in Tewksbury, Massachusetts, on July 21, 2014. […]
- Somerville Bicyclist Arrested, Charged With Running Red Light, Refusing to Identify Himself July 29, 2014It doesn't happen often around these parts, but a bicyclist in Somerville actually faced consequences for running a red light. […]
- BWW Reviews: Creative License: a New Musical July 28, 2014Creative License: A New Musical Book and Lyrics by Kevin Cirone, Music by Kevin Cirone and Spencer Elliott, Additional Music by Dan Rodriguez , Directed by Kevin Cirone, Music Directed by Dan Rodriguez , Choreography by Rachel Bertone ; Lighting Design/Engineering, P.J. Strachman; Sound Design/Engineering, Alex Savitzky; Set Concept, Kevin Cirone; ... (more) […]
- Boston-area nightlife July 31, 2014
- Hyde Park Man Charged In Fatal Dorchester Shooting Of Co-Worker August 1, 2014Marquis Smith, 23, was held without bail Thursday after being arrested Wednesday for allegedly shooting to death Daniel P. Taylor, 23, on Feb. 23 near the intersection of Boston and Howell streets, the Suffolk District Attorney's Office said. […]
- Second West Nile-Infected Mosquito Pool Found Near Boston July 31, 2014A Boston-area mosquito pool tested positive for West Nile Virus, health officials said on Thursday. […]
- Juror blasts Walsh's support of ex-probation chief July 31, 2014One of the jurors in the Probation Department corruption trial has lashed back at Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh for what he called "reckless" comments defending political patronage on Beacon Hill, saying the mayor failed to recognize the charges the jury was considering. […]
- Bottoms Up: Boston to Receive 75 New Liquor Licenses July 31, 2014Select areas of Boston will receive 75 liquor licenses over the next three years after a Massachusetts joint committee approved an economic development bill on Wednesday night. […]
- Boston lists Mattapan properties for $1.8M, fielding development options July 31, 2014The city of Boston is seeking a buyer for four connected parcels in Mattapan that could be the city's latest apartment complex. […]
- Hyde Park Man Charged In Fatal Dorchester Shooting Of Co-Worker August 1, 2014